AssaultCube Server System v0.5

1. 4 years ago

mash

Dec 2014 Administrator Germany
    Edited 4 years ago by mash

I'm proud to announce our new server system which manages our AssaultCube servers from now on.

New features:

• Unified server time in logs based on UTC and taken care of "offset"
    • Password & Server management in databases.
    • 100% accurate password usage identification
    • Applying other clans whitelists hourly
    • More reliable live log streaming
    • Ability to easily implement live log processing
    • Easy way to use different packages folders for different servers
    • And a lot more changes

Thanks to f0r3v3r! Without him this would've not been possible.

2. whopxer

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member

Nice job f0r3v3r and masher. That parser looks sexy <3

3. badger

Dec 2014 Administrator badger's burrow
    Edited 4 years ago by mash

Thank you guys, you are awesome!! :) :)

4. LeaN

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member

V63, gj :D

5. madcatz

Dec 2014 Administrator Đ¯ussia

Proud of you guys! You did really usefull and in the same time awesome work!

6. f0r3v3r

Dec 2014 Administrator Nowhere, Everywhere

Actually this is really funny because this would not have been possible without Mash <3 xD

Good job, man - It was a fun weekend getting this on it's feet for sure...

And, of course, it will only get better from here =)

7. Infinity

Dec 2014 |AoX| Trial Member somewhere in the |Infinity|

my pass has removed or sth (someone kicked me reason hackerandspeed) :S but nice :) I want to know the changes in the servers when you are on :D

8. f0r3v3r

We have a few configuration updates to implement from the backups yet - sorry for any inconvenience anyone has experienced...
    Thank you for everyone's patience and support as we have persevered on this project! <3

9. Padfoot

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member Somewhere... Over the rainbow

That may explain why servers were down when I tried to use them :3

Good job guys!

I have one question though, would it be possible (or has it been implemented) to have a ban on one server extend to all AoX servers?

10. LeaN

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member

Admin pass to LeaN? :B

I have one question though, would it be possible (or has it been implemented) to have a ban on one server extend to all AoX servers?

Awesone idea! could be possible?

11. mash

Dec 2014 Administrator Germany

We need to build much more infrastructure to implement a clean way to extend bans to all servers.

12. f0r3v3r

Edited 4 years ago by f0r3v3r

For sure we have this for the blacklists...
    Let me ask you though - how many servers can you play in at a time?

A ban is temporary anyway - and it is intended to be that way...
    If someone has done something so egregious that you want to ban them from the network off of one vote - Wouldn't it be sound to go ahead and make a blacklist report?

But with this is the fact that you can only really exist in one server at a time when playing unless you are some kind of Siamese twin conjoined at the back or something.
    So then it could be reasoned that we have much more important things on the table at this time...

Very interesting idea though... =)

13. MPx

Dec 2014 Activated Unbreakable Tower Camp

i have a question. This implementations bring the /serverextension feature like on gibbed.me servers?

14. f0r3v3r

serverextension is available in all servers, but it only does anything if the source is modified for it - But no...

This update had nothing to do with the ac_server directly - This was all about consistency in logging and extensibility of configuration and synchronization.
    We also upgraded the underlying Operating System on all of the servers we host on.

To explain further - this update was really just a lot of things that had to be done for some time, that we had wanted to do for a while.
    The big stuff is still on the way, but this was a major version swap for us, And now we will be much more prepared to implement other things to the system in the future - But we had to get to this point first...

We had a few noticeable impacts on day-to-day operation - and that is a failure so apologies from me on the little things we are still working out.
    Ideally, you wouldn't ever notice any major changes, and I think for the most part, no one can really 'see' these changes directly besides the few of us working on it, but it has been a lot of work to achieve the current state, and so it was needed for us to share some of this.

It is much harder to post a demo or screenshot of Admin successes... We will just keep writing and hope eventually it will show in the code we develop... =)

EDIT: To try and demonstrate the level of awesome that you can't see - think of server configuration options - In AC - everything is traditionally done in a text file - The list of passwords and other options are written out in plain text - and then the server references the information in the text when it is called.
    We are now organizing this configuration information in DATABASES.... Which may seem like overkill for the tasks of AC, but for a number of reasons, is actually incredible!
    If you don't think that was any effort, try googling how to do it...

15. Pikachu

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member Pikachuland, Hoenn

What OS do the servers run?

16. HoeHunter

Dec 2014 Activated The Hoe Hunting Zone

Centos 7 iirc

17. HoeHunter Centos 7 iirc

6.5 would be more likely...unless they updated them recently.

18. f0r3v3r serverextension is available in all servers, but it only does anything if the source is modified for it - But no...

This update had nothing to do with the ac_server directly - This was all about consistency in logging and extensibility of configuration and synchronization.
    We also upgraded the underlying Operating System on all of the servers we host on.

To explain further - this update was really just a lot of things that had to be done for some time, that we had wanted to do for a while.
    The big stuff is still on the way, but this was a major version swap for us, And now we will be much more prepared to implement other things to the system in the future - But we had to get to this point first...

We had a few noticeable impacts on day-to-day operation - and that is a failure so apologies from me on the little things we are still working out.
    Ideally, you wouldn't ever notice any major changes, and I think for the most part, no one can really 'see' these changes directly besides the few of us working on it, but it has been a lot of work to achieve the current state, and so it was needed for us to share some of this.

It is much harder to post a demo or screenshot of Admin successes... We will just keep writing and hope eventually it will show in the code we develop... =)

EDIT: To try and demonstrate the level of awesome that you can't see - think of server configuration options - In AC - everything is traditionally done in a text file - The list of passwords and other options are written out in plain text - and then the server references the information in the text when it is called.
    We are now organizing this configuration information in DATABASES.... Which may seem like overkill for the tasks of AC, but for a number of reasons, is actually incredible!
    If you don't think that was any effort, try googling how to do it...

What type of database?

I think you and mash are making really good progress thus far. As I can see, most of the features benefit the administrators and that's fine, but I'd love to see some features implemented where it benefits the players. Lag kick, etc.

19. f0r3v3r

SQL and JSON (SQL for all of the data - JSON for some of the Configuration) And yes... CentOS 7 =)

20. Pikachu

Dec 2014 |AoX| Member Pikachuland, Hoenn

I've always used Ubuntu for servers (mine currently has 120+ days uptime :DDD)

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!