What is a h4x jump?

1. 4 years ago

mash

Jun 2014 Administrator Germany

AssaultCube is a frame based game so everything you do will be done when the next frame is being handled.
    Let's assume you got 100 fps which means that every action you do (like pressing a key/button) will be handled every 10 milliseconds.
    So when you are able to press space and shift in 10 milliseconds you'll archive the same effect as if you would archive if you would bind it.

The lower the frame-rate is, the easier it is to perform a h4x jump without pre-jumping and bind.

Why is that? What happens when I press space or shift or something?
    Well basically in this case when you want press a key to jump it sets a flag internally which indicates that you want to jump. Note the flag will only be set if you don't crouch at the moment.
    So as soon as the next frame will be handled it'll make you jump. The same thing will happen when you press a button to crouch.

So if you do both actions (crouch and jump) at once with one key. A flag that indicates that you want to crouch and a flag that indicates that you want to jump will be set.
    As soon as the next frame will be handled both actions will apply. At first it'll say ohh this players wants to jump so let's say he jumps. Then it'll say ohh the player wants to crouch so let him crouch. Since the second action which is crouching kind of overwrites the first one you stay on the floor and crouch. So nothing special happend yet.
    What do I need to do to h4x jump out of this situation?
    To make a doublejump/h4x jump out of this situation we need to:

• release the crouch button because as I mentioned before we can't jump while we crouch
    • strafe run
    • jump
    • do all this in 250 milliseconds

So why have I pressed the key to jump and crouch again?
    Well basically you've done it because you don't want to make a pre-jump and you can only h4x jump if your last jump was made 250ms before your current jump. That's why you needed that "jump".
    Can I get any higher than h4x jump without rifle jumping?
    Yeah for sure you can still crouch in the air to get even higher. But I'm not sure if h4x jump already refers to doing a doublejump + crouch in the air.

2. -Subjective

Jun 2014 |AoX| Member at the end of the Rainbow

Nice tut. But be awere that you don't do hax jump in matches.

3. Keettu

Jun 2014 |AoX| Member Lala land™ (with Lala♥)
    Edited 4 years ago by Keettu

-Subjective Nice tut. But be awere that you don't do hax jump in matches.

This really is situational only on a few maps... maps like urban and power can esseintally benefit from hax jumping. Take for instance the area where kevlar is in the middle of the map. If you look by the doors to the right of CLA base (going from RVSF to CLA base), you can use hax jumping (or a good rifle jump) to hide behind the transformers and be protected by other players not aware of this (or simply too lazy to check, as they most of the time are). You can also use it coming out mid left of RVSF to climb up back to the top left, or onto the gas tanks by MID-RIGHT of CLA/RVSF side.

4. madcatz

Jun 2014 Administrator Яussia

So do I, graz, quico hax? Or we just override some rules. I dont bind it.

5. quico

Jun 2014 Activated

i dont bind and i do it xd

6. f0r3v3r

Jun 2014 Administrator Nowhere, Everywhere

The controversy is that many "classic" players feel like using the jump is exploiting a bug in the physics... Many "pros" think that any result that was gained using the jump (binded or not) is cheating....

It is quite silly, because I think most of them are just bitter because they can't figure it out....

7. madcatz

The way i do it is very simple but needs a lot of training. And i do it without prejump and without bind.
    I can do it 3/10. So the techinque is:
    Jump + crouch+jump but it should be done so fast. Actually it emulates the bind. I've figured out how bind works and just repeated it.

8. Keettu

All them pr0z and 'veterans' are just jelly. Don't let them get you down f0r3v3r. ;)

9. -Subjective

madcatz Jump + crouch+jump but it should be done so fast. Actually it emulates the bind.

Be aware thay people can't see if you use bind!!! Just train

10. f0r3v3r

Jun 2014 Administrator Nowhere, Everywhere

The question is, do you think it should be legitimized as a feature of the physics? Or is it an exploit that should be patched?

11. madcatz

It should be patched- it is my opinion. Too many quarels around it. But as soon it is not patched i would like to use it, in other hand im not so good in it to use it in real match. I would rather sub/riffle jump instead. Another reason is that, there are not so much cases actually h4x can be used.

So i just keep training it. If it will be removed (stef has serious moves towards bringing life to developing better version of ac) then it is fine.

As an example, quake 3 engine alows you to accelerate ingame by using special swing run technique. But you should be really master in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g24fe4bwu0

12. madcatz

Just found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONeWCR4vZk

13. Keettu

Edited 4 years ago by Keettu

madcatz Just found this

iDani's Video

Old news tbh. But yeah there ya go. Also not to be mean, but Ronald_Reagan told me himself the 'dev team' is too lazy to patch this, double nades, and other known 'exploits' in the game. People just need to learn to deal with it and move on, seriously.

Also here's another video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwWha3N3so

14. madcatz

3x? khm....

And yes those patches should be done years ago. But i hope and believe things will change in a while.

15. -Subjective

My opinion about the hax jump is that it isn't allowed in matches, so if server go to mastermode 2 you can't hax.
    But for the rest of the game keep it as it is. If you do not do that Gema got removed out of the game.
    The bind is the biggest problem. PLEASE REMOVE IT.

16. madcatz

You cant do a single move without bind...
    Hax can be used there as it is a part of abilities of engine like a strafe run or edge jump.
    It is not problem of player, but problem of game that gives such inequality in hax with use of bind or without it.

Easier to remove hax jump from code or add bind/script detection to servers

17. Keettu

Tbh I don't care what anyone else thinks, I will always preach that true h4x jumping boils down to skill. Just because people can't perform this special jump doesn't mean it should be removed. Just make it unbindable.

18. badger

Jun 2014 Administrator badger's burrow

I totally agree with Keettu on this matter.
    Furthermore I do not see why hax is forbidden in matches, I mean seriously:

• the game offers the possibility
    • good/practiced players are able to use it without cheating

So what point lies in cutting off an ability which is the outcome of extense practice?
    If I play mortal kombat I got sometimes beaten up like hell from people who mastered their airjuggle-combos, but that is no reason to say it is not allowed to use those possibilities everyone else could use as well (with the necessary training) :D

Ergo: Unbindable would be enough, that is the only thing which makes it a bit unfair for players who didn't bind it.

19. mash

Jun 2014 Administrator Germany
    Edited 4 years ago by mash

After doing some testing I must agree that doing it manually is really not that difficult even with high fps.
    But I usually get badder results/higher key delay when using the space bar.
    delay in milliseconds to previous key, key
    187, SHIFT
    0, CONTROL
    194, SHIFT
    0, CONTROL
    195, SHIFT
    0, CONTROL
    188, SHIFT
    1, CONTROL
    186, SHIFT
    0, CONTROL
    187, SHIFT
    0, CONTROL
    188, SHIFT
    1, CONTROL
    So it might not work every time when I've 1k fps.
    Also make sure that you've got "slow keys" disabled on your pc.

20. madcatz

So i should have a constant and low fps to it smoothly :)

or Sign Up to reply!